Fenugreek seeds are widely used as spice in the Indian subcontinent (generally called methi) and horn of Africa (generally called abesh). Fenugreek seed have unique flavor and bitter to taste. There have been claims that diet rich in fenugreek seeds significantly reduced fasting blood sugar level and improve glucose tolerance – hence good for diabetic patient (scientific source).
The video is in Nepali with English subtitles for directions.
This fenugreek seed salad is a traditional Newari dish my Newari heritage, which flourished in Kathmandu Valley in Nepal for centuries. Newari fenugreek salad (Methi Achar) is healthy with high dose of fenugreek. Fenugreek seed salad (Methi ko achaar) is one of the classic Nepali recipes and is one of the two dish that I know that uses fenugreek (Methi) as the primary ingredient. The best part is fenugreek is s not that bitter when it’s done.
The video of fenugreek salad (Methi Achar) is in Nepali with English subtitles.
Here are the ingredients you need;
½ cup dry fenugreek seeds
½ cup of diced onions
1/3 cup diced tomatoes
¼ cup crushed toasted sesame seeds
3 green chilies (substitute 1 jalapeño pepper)
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
2 tablespoons crushed ginger
2 tablespoon vegetable oil (substitution extra virgin olive oil)
1 dry red chili
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon ground Timur (substitute schezuan pepper)
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 whole lime/lemon (1½ inch in diameter) juice
This is how you make newari fenugreek salad
- Soak dry fenugreek in 3 cups of filtered water for at least 3 hours. Drain extra water.
- Heat fenugreek in microwave for 1 to 2 minutes on high power. Throw out extra water.
- Heat oil on medium heat.
- Fry dry chili divided into 3 portions.
- Add garlic and ginger and stir.
- Add turmeric, green chilies, cumin red pepper, salt and stir for few seconds.
- Add tomatoes and onion and stir for 2-3 minute on low heat.
- Transfer to salad bowl, mix with fenugreek and ground roasted sesame powder.
- Chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes and serve.
Cooking demo by Sharda Shrestha
Direction & photography by Govinda Ram Shrestha
Posted in: Cooking | Tags: fenugreek and diabetes, Fenugreek dish, fenugreek salad, fenugreek seed salad, fenugreek seeds, methi achar, Nepali Food, nepali salad, newari achar, Newari Food, newari salad